The United Kingdom is a collection of islands in northwestern Europe. England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland together make up Great Britain. The United Kingdom is separated from mainland Europe by the English Channel, but the two are connected by the Channel Tunnel, which opened in 1994. The UK’s head of state is Queen Elizabeth II, the longest reigning monarch, but much of the day-to-day governing is delegated to the parliament.
Population: 65.105 million
Ethnic Groups: White (87.2%), Black/African/Caribbean/Black British (3%), Asian/Asian British: Indian (2.3%), Asian/Asian British: Pakistani (1.9%), Mixed (2%), Other (3.7%)
Religions: Christian (59.5%), Muslim (4.4%), Hindu (1.3%), Other (2%), Unspecified (7.2%), None (25.7%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 26, 2019
British in Canada
British Population in Canada
Although the UK lost its place as the world’s top power after World War II, it continues to have a significant amount of international influence due to its political and cultural power. The UK has hit quite hard by the recent economic recession beginning in 2008. The UK has been Christian for centuries, but religious expression is being threatened by pluralism. Indeed, the media and public are increasingly marginalizing Christianity. The Church of England (Anglican) is recognized as the Established Church in England. The Church of Scotland (Presbyterian) is recognized in Scotland. Freedom of religion exists.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 18). The World Factbook: United Kingdom. Retrieved December 26, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/united-kingdom/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). United Kingdom. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Europe/United-Kingdom.html
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). United Kingdom. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography/Slovenia-to-Zimbabwe-Cumulative-Index/United-Kingdom.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – United Kingdom. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_gb.aspx?lang=eng
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – United Kingdom. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_gb.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2006/dp-pd/tbt/Rp-eng.cfm?LANG=E&APATH=3&DETAIL=0&DIM=0&FL=A&FREE=0&GC=0&GID=0&GK=0&GRP=1&PID=92333&PRID=0&PTYPE=88971,97154&S=0&SHOWALL=0&SUB=0&Temporal=2006&THEME=80&VID=0&VNAMEE=&VNAMEF