Taiwan is an island nation found in eastern Asia. Taiwan is close to southeast part of China. Since the 1970s, the international community has recognized Taiwan as a separate nation from China.
Population: 23.546 million
Ethnic Groups: Han Chinese (95%+), Indigenous Malayo-Polynesian peoples (2.3%)
Languages: Mandarin Chinese (Official), Taiwanese (Min), Hakka dialects
Religions: Buddhist (35.3%), Taoist (33.2%), Christian (3.9%), Taoist or Confucian folk religionist (approx. 10%), None or Unspecified (18.2%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 26, 2019
Taiwanese in Canada
Taiwanese Population in Canada
When mainland China fell to the Communists in 1949, the Nationalist Chinese government relocated to Taiwan. Today, it is a multiparty democracy. Its economy is industrialized and export-oriented. Its political status remains ambiguous: in practice, it is an independent state but it legally is a province of China. The international community largely regards it as separate from China. Nevertheless, the economic and cultural ties between Taiwan and mainland China are very close. Taiwan is a secular state with freedom of religion. The vast majority of people in Taiwan adhere to Buddhism, Confucianism, Daoism, Taiwanese folk religion, or a combination of two or more of these. There is also a small but growing Christian minority.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 6). The World Factbook: Taiwan. Retrieved December 26, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/taiwan/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Taiwan. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography/Slovenia-to-Zimbabwe-Cumulative-Index/Taiwan.html
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Taiwan. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/taiwan.html
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2006/dp-pd/tbt/Rp-eng.cfm?LANG=E&APATH=3&DETAIL=0&DIM=0&FL=A&FREE=0&GC=0&GID=0&GK=0&GRP=1&PID=92333&PRID=0&PTYPE=88971,97154&S=0&SHOWALL=0&SUB=0&Temporal=2006&THEME=80&VID=0&VNAMEE=&VNAMEF