Syria is found in southwest Asia, on the east coast of the Mediterranean Sea. Syria shares borders with Turkey, Iraq, Jordan, and Israel. It is fortunate to be located on the fertile Mediterranean coast — allowing agriculture to play a significant role in the country’s economy.
Population: 19.454 million
Ethnic Groups: Arab (~50%), Alawite (~15%), Kurd (~10%), Levantine (~10%), Other (~15%)
Languages: Arabic (Official), Kurdish, Armenian, Aramaic, Circassian (widely understood), French, English
Religions: Muslim 87% (Official), Christian (10%), Druze (3%), Jewish (few remaining in Damascus and Aleppo)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 26, 2019
Syrians in Canada
Syrian Population in Canada
Syria became independent from France in 1946. Political unrest and economic sanctions have contributed to Syria’s troubled role in the Middle East. Recently, international pressure has forced Syria to take a more moderate position on its foreign policies. Today, Syria’s economy is dependent on agriculture, oil, and tourism. Economic progress is being made, but is slow. Syria has been a secular state since independence. The vast majority of the population is Muslim, but the Christian minority enjoys significantly more freedom than in other areas of the Middle East. Nevertheless, they do face discrimination (for example, in trying to find housing).
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 18). The World Factbook: Syria. Retrieved December 26, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/syria/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Syria. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography/Slovenia-to-Zimbabwe-Cumulative-Index/Syria.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Syria. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_sy.aspx?lang=eng
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Syria. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_sy.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement
- Syrians. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 4, pp. 920-926). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 16, 2014.