Sudan is located in the northeast part of Africa. Its northeastern coastline is along the Red Sea, and it shares borders with 7 different countries. Much of the country is located inside the Sahara Desert. After South Sudan’s independence, it is also known as North Sudan.
Population: 43.121 million
Ethnic Groups: Sudanese Arab (approximately 70%), Fur, Beja, Nuba, Fallata
Languages: Arabic (Official), English (Official), Nubian, Ta Bedawie, Fur
Religions: Sunni Muslim (70%), Indigenous beliefs (25%), Christian (5%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 26, 2019
Sudanese in Canada
Sudanese Population in Canada
Sudanese history has been characterized by conflict between the north and south. This ended in 2005 with the Comprehensive Peace Agreement. Sudan split into two countries in July 2011 after the people of the south voted for independence. The government of Sudan gave its blessing for an independent South Sudan, where the mainly Christian and Animist people had for decades been struggling against rule by the Arab Muslim north. Most people living in Sudan today are Sunni Muslim, and Christians are persecuted. Conversion from Islam to Christianity is punishable by death.
- The Sudanese Report —The Mosaic Institute (2009)
- BBC News. (2014, June 5). Sudan profile. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-14094995
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 18). The World Factbook: Sudan. Retrieved December 26, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/su.html
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Sudan. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography/Slovenia-to-Zimbabwe-Cumulative-Index/Sudan.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Sudan. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_sd.aspx?lang=eng
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Sudan. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_sd.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Sudan. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/sudan.html
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement