Sri Lanka is an island in the South Indian Ocean and is found south of India. The two countries are separated by the Palk Strait, which is 23 km wide. The capital of Sri Lanka, Colombo, is on the west coast line.
Population: 22.577 million
Ethnic Groups: Sinhalese (74.9%), Sri Lankan Tamil (11.2%), Sri Lankan Moors (9.2%), Indian Tamil (4.2%), Other (0.5%)
Languages: Sinhala (Official and National Language) (74%), Tamil (National Language) (18%), Other (8%)
Religions: Buddhist (Official) (70.2%), Hindu (12.6%), Muslim (9.7%), Roman Catholic (6.1%), Other Christian (1.3%), Other (0.05%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 26, 2019
Sri Lankans in Canada
Sri Lankan Population in Canada
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 10). The World Factbook: Sri Lanka. Retrieved December 26, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/sri-lanka/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Sri Lanka. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Asia-and-the-Pacific/Sri-Lanka.html
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Sri Lanka – Location, size, and extent. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/Asia-and-Oceania/Sri-Lanka
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Sri Lanka. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_lk.aspx?lang=eng
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Sri Lanka. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_lk.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Sri Lanka. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/sri-lanka.html
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement