Somalia is located on the eastern coast of Africa, in what is known as ‘the horn of Africa’. Somalia borders the Gulf of Aden to the north, the Arabian Sea to the east, and Kenya, Ethiopia, and Djibouti to the west.
Population: 11.259 million
Ethnic Groups: Somali (85%), Bantu and other non-Somali (15%)
Languages: Somali (Official), Arabic (Official, according to the Transitional Federal Charter), Italian, English
Religions: Sunni Muslim (Official)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 27, 2019
Somalians in Canada
Somalian Population in Canada
The last few decades of Somalia’s history has been characterized by civil wars, and numerous governments have been ineffective in their attempts to bring law and order. The “transitional” national government formed in 2000 does not control most of the country, and radical Islamists and jihadists are eager to fight the government. In sum, much work has to be done to bring stability to Somalia. Sunni Islam is the official religion, and nearly the entire population is Muslim. Religion plays a huge role in Somali life. Somalis do not consume pork or alcohol, and men could have as many as four wives at a time. Many Somalis also believe in a spirit world, and either “fight” or try to appease spirits known as “jinns”. The few Christians who live in Somalia face persecution.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 10). The World Factbook: Somalia. Retrieved December 27, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/somalia/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Somalia. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography/Slovenia-to-Zimbabwe-Cumulative-Index/Somalia.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Somalia. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_so.aspx?lang=eng
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Somalia. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_so.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Somalis. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 1, pp. 495-500). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement