Singapore is a city-state in South Asia. It consists of one main island and 54 smaller islands south of Peninsular Malaysia. The water surrounding the islands helps to moderate the temperature.
Population: 5.996 million
Ethnic Groups: Chinese (74.3%), Malay (13.4%), Indian (9.1%), Other (3.2%)
Languages: Mandarin (Official) (36.3%), English (Official) (29.8%), Malay (Official) (11.9%), Hokkien (8.1%), Cantonese (4.1%), Tamil (Official) (3.2%), Teochew (3.2%), other Indian languages (1.2%), other Chinese dialects (1.1%), Other (1.1%)
Religions: Buddhist (33.9%), Muslim (14.3%), Taoist (11.3%), Catholic (7.1%), Hindu (5.2%), other Christian (11%), Other (0.7%), None (16.4%) (2010 est.)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 27, 2019
Singaporeans in Canada
Singaporean Population in Canada
Singapore, which became independent in 1965, is known as the cleanest and greenest city in Asia. Its strategic position, large port, and export-dependent economy has made it one of the world’s great commercial centres. Its booming economy has led to a higher standard of living for its citizens, but also a rise in materialism. There is freedom of religion in Singapore. Religious harmony is one of the government’s priorities, as there are people of many different religious backgrounds living in Singapore.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 10). The World Factbook: Singapore. Retrieved December 27, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/singapore/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Singapore. http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Asia-and-the-Pacific/Singapore.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Singapore. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_sg.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Singapore. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/singapore.html
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement