Qatar is a small peninsula in the Persian Gulf. Qatar shares borders with Saudi Arabia and is almost entirely desert.
Population: 2.364 million
Ethnic Groups: Non-Qatari (88.4%), Qatari (11.6%)
Languages: Arabic (Official), English commonly used as a second language
Religions: Muslim (67.7%), Christian (13.8%), Hindu (13.8%), Buddhist (3.1%), Folk Religion (<0.1%), Jewish (<0.1%), Other (0.7%), Unaffiliated (0.9%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 27, 2019
About 65% of Qatar’s population consists of expatriates. Although attempting to convert Muslims to a different religion is forbidden, expatriate Christians can practice their faith. The state religion is the strict Wahhabi form of Sunni Islam. Criticism of Islam or the ruling family is illegal. Islam plays a significant role in Qatar. The official religious holidays are all Islamic; and birth, puberty, marriage, and death are all marked by Islamic ceremonies. Most Qataris live in great prosperity due to the oil in Qatar. As a result, quality of life is quite high.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 18). The World Factbook: Qatar. Retrieved December 27, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/qatar/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Qatar. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography/Morocco-to-Slovakia/Qatar.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Qatar. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_qa.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Qatar. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/qatar.html
- Qataris. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 4, pp. 813-817). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement