Portugal is located in southwestern Europe, in the west end of the Iberian Peninsula. Portugal borders the North Atlantic Ocean to the west and Spain to the east. Its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean keeps its climate temperate.
Population: 10.355 million
Ethnic Groups: Mediterranean, Black African, European
Languages: Portuguese (Official), Mirandese (Official)
Religions: Roman Catholic (81%), other Christian (3.3%), Other (0.6%), None (6.8%), Unspecified (8.3%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 27, 2019
Portuguese in Canada
Portuguese Population in Canada
Portugal has a weaker economy than most of its European counterparts, but it still enjoys a much higher standard of living that most countries around the world. Portugal has had freedom of religion since 1974 and separation of church and state since 1976. Nevertheless, Catholicism continues to have a massive impact on life in Portugal. For example, Roman Catholics in Portugal are allowed to designate 0.5% of their income tax to the Catholic Church, and almost everybody is baptized and married in the Church.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 18). The World Factbook: Portugal. Retrieved December 27, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/portugal/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Portugal. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Europe/Portugal.html
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Portugal. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography/Morocco-to-Slovakia/Portugal.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Portugal. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_pt.aspx?lang=eng
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Portugal. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_pt.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Portuguese. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 5, pp. 390-394). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement