Pakistan is found in South Asia, to the north of the Arabian Sea. Pakistan has been in many conflicts with India as to the ownership of the northern parts of Jammu and Kashmir.
Population: 207.863 million
Ethnic Groups: Punjabi (44.7%), Pashtun (15.4%), Sindhi (14.1%), Sariaki (8.4%), Muhajirs (7.6%), Balochi (3.6%), Other (6.3%)
Languages: Punjabi (48%), Sindhi (12%), Saraiki (10%), Pashto (8%), Urdu (Official) (8%), Balochi (3%), Hindko (2%), Brahui (1%), English (Official), Other (8%)
Religions: Muslim (Official) [96.4%: Sunni (85 – 90%), Shia (10 – 15%)], Other (includes Christian and Hindu) (3.6%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 27, 2019
Pakistanis in Canada
Pakistani Population in Canada
Pakistan’s population consists of a complex arrangement of different ethnic groups, languages, and castes. The country is an Islamic Republic with a Sunni majority. Islamic festivals such as Id-ul-Fitr and Bakr-Id are celebrated. Religious fundamentalism is driven by the Taliban and much of the country is controlled by extremists who apply shari’a law. Consequently, women have almost no rights or freedoms, blasphemy (“defaming” the prophet Mohammed) is punishable by death, and Christians (and other religious minorities) face persecution and violence.
- BBC News. (2014, March 26). Pakistan profile. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-south-asia-12965779
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 18). The World Factbook: Pakistan. Retrieved December 27, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/pk.html
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Pakistan. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Asia-and-the-Pacific/Pakistan.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Pakistan. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_pk.aspx?lang=eng
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Pakistan. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_pk.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Pakistanis. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 4, pp. 770-777). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Pakistan. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/pakistan.html
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement