Located in eastern Asia, North Korea occupies the northern half of the Korean Peninsula. The country borders China to the north. To the south, it shares ‘Demilitarized Zone’ with South Korea.
Population: 25.381 million
Ethnic Groups: Korean (there is a small Chinese community and a few ethnic Japanese)
Languages: Korean (North Korean dialect)
Religions: Traditionally Buddhist and Confucianist, some Christian, shamanism, and syncretic Chondogyo
CIA: The World Factbook 1 Last Updated December 27, 2019
North Korea is very isolated and its economy is centralized. It is an extremely oppressive state where citizens are indoctrinated into the policies of the leader. North Korea is in rapid decline and there are chronic food shortages. The only religion acceptable is Cheondogyo, the cult of the deceased leader. Hundreds of thousands of Christians have died as a result of persecution. As many as 100,000 more are estimated to be in prisons or work camps. Adherents to other religions are persecuted as well.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 17). Korea, North. Retrieved December 27, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/korea-north/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Korea, North. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography/Indonesia-to-Mongolia/Korea-North.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Korea, Democratic People’s Republic of. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_kp.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2006/dp-pd/tbt/Rp-eng.cfm?LANG=E&APATH=3&DETAIL=0&DIM=0&FL=A&FREE=0&GC=0&GID=0&GK=0&GRP=1&PID=92333&PRID=0&PTYPE=88971,97154&S=0&SHOWALL=0&SUB=0&Temporal=2006&THEME=80&VID=0&VNAMEE=&VNAMEF