Located in Central America, Nicaragua is found between Honduras and Costa Rica. Nicaragua also borders the North Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea. This is important to the country’s fishing industry as most of the fish exported from Nicaragua are caught in the Caribbean Sea.
Population: 6.085 million
Ethnic Groups: Mestizo (mixed Amerindian and white) (69%), White (17%), Black (9%), Amerindian (5%)
Languages: Spanish (Official) (95.3%), Miskito (2.2%), Mestizo of the Caribbean coast (2%), Other (0.5%)
Religions: Roman Catholic (50.0%), Evangelical (33.2%), Other (2.9%), Unspecified (13.2%), None (0.7%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 27, 2019
NIcaraguans in Canada
Nicaraguan Population in Canada
Nicaragua is one of the world’s poorer countries, largely as a result of the civil war and Marxist economics of the 1980s. However, since 1991, the government has taken a more balanced approach and there has been some economic progress. There is potential for more growth due to fertile soil and natural resources. The Nicaraguan population is mostly Catholic. Nicaraguans in urban areas, and those who belong to the middle or upper class, are more likely to attend mass. Since 1990, there has been complete religious freedom.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 18). The World Factbook: Nicaragua. Retrieved December 27, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/nu.html
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Nicaragua. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography/Morocco-to-Slovakia/Nicaragua.html
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Nicaragua. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Americas/Nicaragua.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Nicaragua. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_ni.aspx?lang=eng
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Nicaragua. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_ni.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Nicaraguans. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 2, pp. 402-407). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement