Located in Southeast Asia, Myanmar shares land boundaries with India, China, Laos, and Thailand. Even so, Myanmar is isolated from these countries because of a horseshoe of high mountains. Myanmar has its south and west coastlines along the Indian Ocean.
Population: 55.623 million
Ethnic Groups: Burman (Bamar) (68%), Shan (9%), Karen (7%), Rakhine (4%), Chinese (3%), Indian (2%), Mon (2%), Other (5%)
Languages: Burmese (Official)
Religions: Buddhist (87.9%), Christian (6.2), Muslim (4.3%), Animist (0.8%), Hindu (0.5%), Other (0.2%), None (0.1%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 27, 2019
Burmese in Canada
Burmese Population in Canada
Myanmar, formerly Burma, is the largest nation in Southeast Asia. Officially, freedom of religion is allowed in Myanmar, but any group the government considers harmful to the state is harassed, persecuted, and often imprisoned. There have also been accusations that the military regime has tried to impose Buddhism onto minority groups. These minority groups include Christians, Muslims, and Animists. Those who subscribe to animist beliefs give offerings to Nats (clever and extremely powerful spiritual beings) out of fear and for protection.
- Burman. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 3, pp. 174-180). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 17). The World Factbook: Burma. Retrieved December 27, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/burma/Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Myanmar. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography/Morocco-to-Slovakia/Myanmar.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Burma (Myanmar). Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_mm.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Myanmar (Burma). Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/myanmar-(burma).html
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement