Morocco is found at the northwest corner of Africa. Morocco borders the North Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea, and the Western Sahara. Morocco also shares borders with Algeria and Mauritania. The country is separated from Spain by the Strait of Gibraltar.
Population: 34.314 million
Ethnic Groups: Arab-Berber (99%), Other (1%)
Languages: Arabic (Official), Berber languages (Tamazight (Official)), Tachelhit, Tarifit), French (preferred language of business, government, and diplomacy)
Religions: Muslim (Official) (99%), Christian (1%), Jewish (about 6,000)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 27, 2019
Moroccans in Canada
Moroccan Population in Canada
Morocco has been independent since 1956 and has occupied the Western Sahara since 1975. This was followed by conflict, and Morocco intends to continue holding on to this territory despite pressure from the international community. Sunni Islam is the state religion in Morocco. Almost the entire population is Muslim, although some of them do not practice all aspects of the faith. Christians and Jews are tolerated, but their religious freedoms are eroding. Christians are allowed to talk about Christ, but Christian activity is carefully monitored by authorities. Some Christians have been accused of trying to convert Muslims, and were imprisoned.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 18). The World Factbook: Morocco. Retrieved December 27, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/mo.html
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Morocco. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography/Morocco-to-Slovakia/Morocco.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Morocco. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_ma.aspx?lang=eng
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Morocco. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_ma.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Moroccans. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 1, pp. 388-395). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Morocco. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/morocco.html
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement