Mauritius is an African island nation located in the Indian Ocean, east of Madagascar. The country consists of one larger and three smaller islands.
Population: 1.364 million
Ethnic Groups: Indo-Mauritian (68%), Creole (27%), Sino-Mauritian (3%), Franco-Mauritian (2%)
Languages: Creole (86.5%), Bhojpuri (5.3%), French (4.1%), English (Official), Others (2.67%), Unspecified (0.1%)
Religions: Hindu (48.5%), Roman Catholic (26.3%), Muslim (17.3%), other Christian (6.4%), None (0.7%), Other and Unspecified (0.7%)
Capital: Port Louis
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 27, 2019
Mauritians in Canada
Mauritian Population in Canada
Mauritius was settled by the Dutch in the 1600s, was a French colony between 1715-1810, and later became a British colony before gaining its independence in 1968. Since 1969, Mauritia has enjoyed political stability and democracy. It is also one of the most prosperous countries in Africa. Most of the population is Indo-Mauritian, and since Mauritian politics is dominated by ethnic divides, there tends to be some Indianization (and by extension, Hinduization) of government and culture. There is freedom of religion.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 18). The World Factbook: Mauritius. Retrieved December 27, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/mauritius/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Mauritius. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography/Indonesia-to-Mongolia/Mauritius.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Mauritius. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_mu.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Mauritius. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/mauritius.html
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement