Kuwait is found at the northwest end of the Persian Gulf. It shares borders with Iraq and Saudi Arabia. Kuwait’s location is the basis of its economy, which relies totally on oil and foreign labour.
Population: 2.916 million
Ethnic Groups: Kuwaiti (30.4%), other Arab (27.4%), Asian (40.3%), African (1.0%), Other (0.9%)
Languages: Arabic (Official), English widely spoken
Religions: Muslim (Official) (75.6%), Christian (18.2%), Other and Unspecified (7.2%)
Capital: Kuwait City
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 27, 2019
Kuwaiti in Canada
Kuwaiti Population in Canada
Kuwait became independent in 1961. Its economy was able to recover from the Iraqi invasion and the Gulf War due to oil, which today accounts for 95% of Kuwait’s export revenues. Sunni Islam is the state religion, but Kuwait is also home to Shia Muslims, Christians, Hindus, and people of other religions. Religious tolerance is relatively high (due to the fact that most of the workforce is made up of foreigners) but it is illegal to try to convert Muslims to a different religion. Kuwait is an Islamic state, so it is unsurprising that its religious holidays are Muslim ones. The Muslim New Year, the birthday of the prophet Muhammad, Eid al-Fitr, and Eid al-Adha are all official religious holidays. Most businesses are closed on Friday, which is the Islamic day of rest.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 5). The World Factbook: Kuwait. Retrieved December 27, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ku.html
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Kuwait. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Asia-and-the-Pacific/Kuwait.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Kuwait. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_kw.aspx?lang=eng
- Kuwaitis. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 3, pp. 523-530). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Kuwait. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/kuwait.html
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement