Jamaica is found in the Caribbean Sea, south of Cuba. Its geographical location is both a blessing and a curse. While many travelers regard Jamaica as an “island paradise” and contribute to Jamaica’s strong tourism industry, the country is also frequently affected by hurricanes.
Population: 2.812 million
Ethnic Groups: Black (92.1%), Mixed (6.1%), East Indian (0.8%) Other (0.4%), Unspecified (0.7%)
Languages: English, English patois
Religions: Protestant (64.8%), Roman Catholic (2.2%), Jehovah’s Witness (1.9%), Rastafarian (1.1%), Other (6.5%), None (21.3%),Unspecified (2.3%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 28, 2019
Jamaicans in Canada
Jamaican Population in Canada
Jamaica has a Christian heritage, and today, most of the population identifies as Christian. Other religions present in Jamaica include Baha’i, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, and indigenous beliefs. Jamaica currently faces economic challenges such as high public debt and unemployment. Despite these challenges, their healthcare system is considered good, and life expectancy for males and females are both above 70 years. There is freedom of religion.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 17). The World Factbook: Jamaica. Retrieved December 28, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/jamaica/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Jamaica. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Americas/Jamaica.html
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Jamaica – Overview of economy. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Americas/Jamaica-OVERVIEW-OF-ECONOMY.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Jamaica. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_jm.aspx?lang=eng
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Jamaica. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_jm.aspx?lang=eng
- Jamaicans. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 2, pp. 314-317). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement