Located in southern Europe, Italy is a peninsula extending to the Mediterranean Sea. The shape of the Italian Peninsula is a boot. It is home to the Vatican City in Rome, where the Holy See of the Catholic church resides.
Population: 62.247 million
Ethnic Groups: Italian (includes small clusters of German-, French-, and Slovene-Italians in the north and Albanian-Italians and Greek-Italians in the south)
Languages: Italian (Official), German, French, Slovene
Religions: Christian (83.3%), Muslim (3.7%), Unaffiliated (12.4%), Other (0.6%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 28, 2019
Italians in Canada
Italian Population in Canada
Italy is a highly industrialized country in Europe. Roman Catholicism was the state religion until 1984. Although most Italians still identify as Catholic, the numbers of practicing Catholics and new priests are declining. Nevertheless, Catholicism still has a significant impact on things like education and family life. Other religious groups in Italy include Protestants and Muslims.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 18). The World Factbook: Italy. Retrieved December 28, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/it.html
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Italy. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Europe/Italy.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Italy. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_it.aspx?lang=eng
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Italy. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_it.aspx?lang=eng
- Italians. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 5, pp. 238-242). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 14, 2014.
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement