Israel is located in the Middle East, on the east coast of the Mediterranean Sea. The country shares borders with Egypt, Jordan, Syria, and Lebanon.
Population: 8.425 million
Ethnic Groups: Jewish (74.4%) (of which Israel-born 76.9%, Europe/America/Oceania-born 15.96%, Africa-born 4.9%, Asia-born 2.6%), Arab (20.9%), Other (4.7%)
Languages: Hebrew (Official), Arabic, English
Religions: Jewish (74.7%), Muslim (17.7%), Christian (2.0%), Druze (1.6%), Other (4.0%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 28, 2019
Israelis in Canada
Israeli Population in Canada
Israel was founded in 1948 as a homeland for Jews. Its history has been characterized by conflicts with surrounding states and acts of terrorism from Islamist groups such as Hamas and Hezbollah. Repeated attempts to achieve peace (with help from the USA and others) have not been too successful, and there is great disagreement amongst Israelis as to the peace process.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 17). The World Factbook: Israel. Retrieved December 28, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/israel/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Israel. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Asia-and-the-Pacific/Israel.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Israel. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_il.aspx?lang=eng
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Israel. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_il.aspx?lang=eng
- Israelis. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 3, pp. 397-404). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 14, 2014.
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Israel. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/israel.html
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2006/dp-pd/tbt/Rp-eng.cfm?LANG=E&APATH=3&DETAIL=0&DIM=0&FL=A&FREE=0&GC=0&GID=0&GK=0&GRP=1&PID=92333&PRID=0&PTYPE=88971,97154&S=0&SHOWALL=0&SUB=0&Temporal=2006&THEME=80&VID=0&VNAMEE=&VNAMEF