Iraq is found in the Middle East, between Iran and Saudi Arabia. Iraq also shares borders with Turkey, Syria, Jordan, and Kuwait. Iraq’s location is the basis for its economy. It has the world’s third-largest known oil reserves.
Population: 40.194 million
Ethnic Groups: Arab (75%—80%), Kurdish (15%—20%), Other (5%)
Languages: Arabic (Official), Kurdish (Official), Turkmen, Syriac (Neo-Aramaic), and Armenian
Religions: Muslim (Official) (95%-98%), Christian (1%), Other (1%-4%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 28, 2019
Iraqis in Canada
Iraqis Population in Canada
Home to one of the earliest civilizations known as Mesopotamia in the ancient world, Iraq is a country that has been filled with conflict in recent history. There was the war with Iran from 1980 to 1988, the 1991 Gulf War, the dictatorship of Saddam Hussein, and the American invasion. The vast majority of people in Iraq are Muslims. Although the Muslim leaders are becoming more progressive, extremist groups have persecuted religious minorities and are advocating for shari’a law. Religious minorities are offered little protection from the government and police. The Iraqi constitution does not deny freedom of religion, but states that no laws can contravene Islam. Therefore, it is difficult for religions other than Islam to exist in Iraq.
- BBC News. (2014, June 24). Iraq profile. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-14542954
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 17). The World Factbook: Iraq. Retrieved December 28, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/iraq/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Iraq. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Asia-and-the-Pacific/Iraq.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Iraq. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_iq.aspx?lang=eng
- Iraqis. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 3, pp. 390-396). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 14, 2014.
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Iraq. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/iraq.html
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement