Iran is located in the Middle East and borders Armenia, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, and Turkey. Iran is located between the Caspian Sea and the Persian Gulf; consequently, fishing is an important industry there. The Caspian Sea is an excellent supply of sturgeon, salmon and other species of fish.
Population: 83.025 million
Ethnic Groups: Persian, Azeri, Kurd, Lur, Baloch, Arab, Turkmen and Turkic tribes
Languages: Persian (Official), Azeri Turkic and Turkic dialects, Kurdish, Gilaki and Mazandarani, Luri, Balochi, Arabic
Religions: Muslim (Official) (99.4%), Other (0.3%), Unspecified (0.4%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 28, 2019
Iranians in Canada
Iranian Population in Canada
An Iranian’s personal space is generally closer than that of a Canadian. Men are openly affectionate with each other, often holding hands in public and frequently greeting each other with a hug and two or three kisses to the cheeks. Women are also very affectionate with each other in public. What is considered proper etiquette becomes less clear when both men and women are involved. It is important to remember not to be too direct, and the general rule of thumb is to always be respectful.
- BBC News. (2014, July 8). Iran profile. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-14541327
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 17). The World Factbook: Iran. Retrieved December 28, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/iran/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Iran. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography/Indonesia-to-Mongolia/Iran.html
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Iran – Fishing. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/Asia-and-Oceania/Iran-FISHING.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Iran. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_ir.aspx?lang=eng
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Iran. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_ir.aspx?lang=eng
- Iranians. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 3, pp. 382-390). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 14, 2014.
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Iran. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/iran.html
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2006/dp-pd/tbt/Rp-eng.cfm?LANG=E&APATH=3&DETAIL=0&DIM=0&FL=A&FREE=0&GC=0&GID=0&GK=0&GRP=1&PID=92333&PRID=0&PTYPE=88971,97154&S=0&SHOWALL=0&SUB=0&Temporal=2006&THEME=80&VID=0&VNAMEE=&VNAMEF