Hungary is a landlocked and flat country in Central Europe. It is located in the Carpathian Basin (also known as the Pannonian Basin).
Population: 9.826 million
Ethnic Groups: Hungarian (85.6%), Romani (3.2%), German (1.9%), Other (2.6%), Unspecified (14.1%)
Languages: Hungarian (Official) (99.6%), English (16%), German (11.2%), Russian (1.6%), Romanian (1.3%), French (1.2%), Other (4.2%)
Religions: Roman Catholic (37.2%), Calvinist (11.6%), Lutheran (2.2%), Greek Catholic (1.8%), Other (1.9%), None (18.2%), Unspecified (27.2%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 28, 2019
Hungarians in Canada
Hungarian Population in Canada
The Soviets imposed Communism in Hungary when the Second World War ended. Hungary was the first state to leave Communism and successfully instituted multiparty democracy in 1990. Today, it is a member of the European Union. Hungary was 90% Protestant in 1600, but Christians were persecuted under Communism. Freedom of religion arrived in Hungary in 1990 as Communism came to an end.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 17). The World Factbook: Hungary. Retrieved December 28, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/hungary/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Hungary. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Hungary. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_hu.aspx?lang=eng
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Hungary. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_hu.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Hungary. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/hungary.html
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement