Haiti is found on the island of Hispaniola, which lies between the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea. Haiti shares borders with the Dominican Republic. Haiti is unfortunately located on a fault line, which was responsible for a devastating earthquake in 2010.
Population: 10.788 million
Ethnic Groups: Black (95%), Mulatto and White (5%)
Languages: French (Official), Creole (Official)
Religions: Roman Catholic (Official) (54.7%), Protestant (28.5%), Voodoo (Official) (2.1%), Other (4.6%), None (10.2%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 29, 2019
Haitians in Canada
Haitian Population in Canada
A variety of factors — such as deforestation and political instability — are responsible for Haiti’s poverty problem. This was only exacerbated by the 2010 earthquake, so there is much work to do to rebuild Haiti. There is freedom of religion in Haiti and the Roman Catholic Church is no longer the state church. Although Catholicism remains dominant, Protestantism is growing. In total, about 95% of Haitians identify themselves as Christian.
- Callahan, R. (2010, August 14). Haiti Earthquake Fault: Previously Undetected Fault Line Responsible. Huffington Post. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/15/haiti-earthquake-fault-pr_n_682781.html
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 17). The World Factbook: Haiti. Retrieved December 29, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/haiti/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Haiti. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Americas/Haiti.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Haiti. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_ht.aspx?lang=eng
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Haiti. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_ht.aspx?lang=eng
- Haitians. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 2, pp. 262-270). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 14, 2014.
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Haiti. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/haiti.html
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement