Greece is located in the southern part of the Balkan Peninsula. Three sides of Greece (the east, south, and west) are surrounded by sea. The country consists of a mainland and 2,000 islands (170 of which are inhabited).
Population: 10.762 million
Ethnic Groups: Greek (91.8%), Albanian (4.4%), Other 4.0%)
Languages: Greek (Official) (99%), Other (includes English and French – 1%)
Religions: Greek Orthodox (Official) (81%-90%), Muslim (2.0%), Other (3%), None (4%—15%), Unspecified (0.1%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 29, 2019
Greeks in Canada
Greek Population in Canada
Greece became independent in 1827 following almost 400 years of Turkish rule. Today, Greece is dealing with a serious economic crisis, characterized by high unemployment rates and high debt. Although the quality of life is much higher in Greece than in most countries, there likely will be social unrest in the future as the country attempts to deal with its economic problems. The Orthodox Church has long been an important part of Greek identity, but its grip has loosened as of late due to scandals and the immigration of people who are not Orthodox. Attempts to convert Orthodox Christians to other religions often face opposition, and discrimination occasionally occurs. However, all Greeks are guaranteed freedom of religion.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 18). The World Factbook: Greece. Retrieved December 29, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/greece/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Greece. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Europe/Greece.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Greece. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_gr.aspx?lang=eng
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Greece. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_gr.aspx?lang=eng
- Greeks. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 5, pp. 221-224). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 14, 2014.
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Greece. Retrieved July 14, 2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/greece.html
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement