Fiji is an island country in the South Pacific Ocean. Fiji is located east of Australia and north of New Zealand. Fiji consists of approximately 850 islands, but only 112 of them are inhabited.
Ethnic Groups: iTaukei (56.8%), Indian (37.5%), Rotuman (1.2%), Other (4.5%)
Languages: English (Official), Fijian (Official), Hindustani
Religions: Protestant (45%), Hindu (27.9%), other Christian (10.4%), Roman Catholic (9.1%), Muslim (6.3%), Sikh (0.3%), Other (0.3%), None (0.8%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 29, 2019
Fijians in Canada
Fijian Population in Canada
Ever since Fiji became independent, political stability has been disrupted constantly by military coups. Fijian law dictated that non-Fijians could not live in Fijian villages, so there has been racial tension between indigenous Fijians and Indo-Fijians. However, the relationship between these two ethnic groups has improved significantly over the past 25 years. Most indigenous Fijians are Methodists, while most Indo-Fijians are Hindus. The caste system is an important component of Hinduism in India, but is much less relevant in Fiji. Although freedom of religion exists, there are accusations that the state favours Christianity.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 17). The World Factbook: Fiji. Retrieved December 29, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/fiji/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Fiji. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography
- Fijians. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 3, pp. 245-249). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 14, 2014.
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Fiji. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_fj.aspx?lang=eng
- Indo-Fijians. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 3, pp. 369-371). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 14, 2014.
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement