Situated in the northeast corner of Africa, Egypt occupies a strategic position linking the continents of Africa and Asia. Egypt borders Libya on the West, Sudan on the South, Israel and the Red Sea on the East, and the Mediterranean Sea on the North.
Population: 99.4 million
Ethnic Groups: Egyptian (99.7%), Other (0.3%)
Languages: Arabic (Official), English, and French
Religions: Muslim (Primarily Sunni) (90%), Christian (10%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 29, 2019
Egyptians in Canada
Egyptian Population in Canada
The Coptic Orthodox Church is the largest Christian body in Egypt as well as in the entire Middle East area. Coptic Christianity in Egypt was very prevalent in the early days of Christianity. However, the split of the universal church (AD 451) caused persecution from other Christians and consequently weakened the Coptic Christian community in Egypt. In addition, Arab Muslims invaded Egypt in AD 649, spreading the Islamic religion across Egypt. By the end of 12th century, Egypt had become a predominantly Muslim country. However, since the middle of the 20th century, the Coptic Christian Church in Egypt has had a remarkable revival. The Coptic Church in Egypt now has more than 9 million followers.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 17). The World Factbook: Ecuador. Retrieved December 29, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/egypt/
- Coptic Christians. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 1, pp. 149-154). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- Egyptians. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 1, pp. 177-185). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Egypt. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_eg.aspx?lang=eng
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Egypt. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_eg.aspx?lang=eng
- MulticulturalCanada. (n.d.). Egyptians. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://multiculturalcanada.ca/Encyclopedia/A-Z/e2
- Statistics Canada. (2017, October 25). Data Tables, 2016 Census – Ethnic Origin (279), Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses (3), Generation Status (4), Age (12) and Sex (3) for the Population in Private Households of Canada, Provinces and Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2016 Census – 25% Sample Data. Retrieved December 14, 2017, from http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/olc-cel/olc.action?objId=98-400-X2016187&objType=46&lang=en&limit=0