Croatia is located in southeastern Europe between Slovenia and Bosnia and Herzegovina. Croatia’s coastline on the Adriatic Sea made fishing a traditional industry, but the fishing industry shrunk greatly as a result of wars and overfishing.
Population: 4.270 million
Ethnic Groups: Croat (90.4%), Serb (4.4%), Other (4.4%), Unspecified (0.8%)
Languages: Croatian (Official) (95.6%), Serbian (1.2%), Others (3%), Unspecified (0.2%)
Religions: Roman Catholic (86.3%), Orthodox (4.4%), Muslim (1.5%), Other (1.5%), Unspecified (2.5%), None (3.8%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 29, 2019
Croatians in Canada
Croatian Population in Canada
From an economic standpoint, Croatia continues its slow recovery from the effects of Communism. Privatization has helped, but unemployment is still high and wages are still low. Nevertheless, Croatians enjoy a high standard of living compared to most countries around the world. The Catholic Church is very influential in Croatia and enjoys preferential treatment from the government. The Roman Catholic Church in Croatia receives financial support from the state. Despite the dominance of Catholicism, Croatia is officially a secular state with freedom of religion.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 17). The World Factbook: Croatia. Retrieved December 29, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/croatia/
- Croats. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 5, pp. 135-142). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Croatia. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography/Congo-Democratic-Republic-of-the-to-India/Croatia.html
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Croatia. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Europe/Croatia.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Croatia. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_hr.aspx?lang=eng
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Croatia. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_hr.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Statistics Canada. (2017, October 25). Data Tables, 2016 Census – Ethnic Origin (279), Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses (3), Generation Status (4), Age (12) and Sex (3) for the Population in Private Households of Canada, Provinces and Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2016 Census – 25% Sample Data. Retrieved December 14, 2017, from http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/olc-cel/olc.action?objId=98-400-X2016187&objType=46&lang=en&limit=0