The Republic of Congo is found in Western Africa. The country has a coastline along the Pacific Ocean and shares land borders with Gabon, Cameron, Central African Republic, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. As the Republic of Congo lies right on the equator, its usual climate is very hot.
Population: 5.062 million
Ethnic Groups: Kongo (40.5%), Teke (16.9%), Mbochi (13.1%), Foreigner (3.2%), Sangha (5.6%), Mbere/Mbeti/Kele (4.4%), Punu (4.3%), Pygmy (1.6%), Oubanguiens (1.6%), Duma (1.5%), Makaa (1.3%), Other and Unspecified (1.0%)
Languages: French (Official), Lingala and Monokutuba, Local Languages and Dialects
Religions: Roman Catholic (33.1%), Awakening Churches/Christian Revival (22.3%), Protestant (19.9%), Salutiste (2.2%), Muslim (1.6%), Kimbanguiste (1.5%), Other (8.1%), None (11.3%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 29, 2019
Congolese in Canada
Congolese Population in Canada
Congo became independent from France in 1960 and was a Marxist-Leninist People’s Republic from 1968 to 1991. Today, it is poorer than most Western nations but has a higher quality of life than most African countries. During the Marxist period of Congo’s history, nearly all expatriates were expelled and young people were indoctrinated against religion. However, freedom of religion was declared in 1992. Today, most of the population is either Christian (mostly Catholic) or animist. Local animists believe in a supreme god called Nzambi.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 17). The World Factbook: Congo, Republic of the. Retrieved December 29, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/congo-republic-of-the/
- Congolese (Brazzavillans). (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 1, pp. 139-143). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 14, 2014.
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Congo, Republic of The. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Africa/Congo-Republic-of-The.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Congo, Republic of the. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_cg.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Statistics Canada. (2017, October 25). Data Tables, 2016 Census – Ethnic Origin (279), Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses (3), Generation Status (4), Age (12) and Sex (3) for the Population in Private Households of Canada, Provinces and Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2016 Census – 25% Sample Data. Retrieved December 14, 2017, from http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/olc-cel/olc.action?objId=98-400-X2016187&objType=46&lang=en&limit=0