China is located in eastern Asia, surrounded by fourteen other countries and the East China Sea. China is the world’s fourth-largest country, and although it geographically covers five time zones, the entire country goes by UTC+08:00.
Population: 1.385 billion
Ethnic Groups: Han Chinese (91.6%), Zhuang (1.3%), Other (7.1%)
Languages: Mandarin/Chinese (Official), Yue (Cantonese), Wu (Shanghainese), Minbei (Fuzhou), Minnan (Hokkien-Taiwanese), Xiang, Gan, Hakka dialects, Minority Languages
Religions: Buddhist (18.2%), Christian (5.1%), Muslim (1.8%), Folk Religion (21.9%), Hindu (<0.1%), Jewish (<0.1%), Other (0.7%), Unaffiliated (52.2%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 29, 2019
Chinese in Canada
Chinese Population in Canada
Since the 1990s, extensive reforms have occurred in China. It is now the world’s fastest-growing economy. With the world’s largest population, China produces a huge amount of the world’s manufactured goods. Despite its growing economic success and emergence as a world superpower, China faces social problems such as economic inequality and human rights concerns. The Chinese government strictly controls the religious groups of the country. The five religious groups (Buddhism, Daoism, Islam, Protestantism, and Catholicism) are monitored by the government. It is said that many Christians in China worship secretly in house churches because the government strictly regulates Christian churches. However, religious freedoms have increased in the past decade or so, and some are cautiously optimistic for the future.
- BBC News. (2014, May 22). China profile. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-pacific-13017877
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 17). The World Factbook: China. Retrieved December 29, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/china/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). China. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography/Afghanistan-to-Comoros/China.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – China. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_cn.aspx?lang=eng
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – China. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_cn.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Prayercast. (n.d.) China. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/china.html
- Statistics Canada. (2017, October 25). Data Tables, 2016 Census – Ethnic Origin (279), Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses (3), Generation Status (4), Age (12) and Sex (3) for the Population in Private Households of Canada, Provinces and Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2016 Census – 25% Sample Data. Retrieved December 14, 2017, from http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/olc-cel/olc.action?objId=98-400-X2016187&objType=46&lang=en&limit=0