Bulgaria is part of the Balkan Penninsula in Southeastern Europe. Bulgaria is surrounded by Romania, Turkey, Greece, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Serbia, and Montenegro (formerly part of Yugoslavia). Its eastern coastline is on the Black Sea and it has a number of beach resorts there, which boosts tourism to the country.
Population: 7.058 million
Ethnic Groups: Bulgarian (76.9%), Turkish (8%), Romani (4.4%), Other (Russian, Armenian, and Vlach) (10%), Other (Unknown) (10%)
Languages: Bulgarian (Official) (76.8%), Turkish (8.2%), Romani (3.8%), Other (0.7%), Unspecified (10.5%)
Religions: Eastern Orthodox (59.4%), Muslim (7.8%), Other (1.7%), None (3.7%), Unspecified (27.4%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 29, 2019
Bulgarians in Canada
Bulgarian Population in Canada
Bulgaria adopted Christianity in the year 865, and Orthodoxy was the state religion until 1945. Bulgaria came under Communist rule in 1947, and the Communists persecuted Christians until 1989. Multiparty democracy was instituted in 1990, and since then atheism has declined and there was an increase in the Christian population. Although Bulgaria today is not a very religious country, most Bulgarians belong to the Orthodox Church and both Christmas and Easter are official holidays.
- Bulgarians. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 5, pp. 91-96). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 14, 2014.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 18). The World Factbook: Bulgaria. Retrieved December 29, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/bulgaria/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Bulgaria. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography/Afghanistan-to-Comoros/Bulgaria.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Bulgaria. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_bg.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Bulgaria. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/bulgaria.html
- Statistics Canada. (2017, October 25). Data Tables, 2016 Census – Ethnic Origin (279), Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses (3), Generation Status (4), Age (12) and Sex (3) for the Population in Private Households of Canada, Provinces and Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2016 Census – 25% Sample Data. Retrieved December 14, 2017, from http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/olc-cel/olc.action?objId=98-400-X2016187&objType=46&lang=en&limit=0