Barbados is an island country in the Caribbean Sea. It has an area of 430 square kilometers (166 square miles). Barbados’ tourism industry, which benefits from its tropical maritime climate, is an important part of the Barbadian economy.
Ethnic Groups: Black (92.4%), White (2.7%), Mixed (3.1%), East Indian (1.3%), Other (0.2%), Unspecified (0.2%)
Languages: English (Official), Bajan (English-based creole language; widely spoken in informal settings)
Religions: Protestant (66.4%), Roman Catholic (3.8%), other Christian (5.4%), Rastafarian (1%), Other (1.5%), None (20.6%), Unspecified (1.2%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 29, 2019
Barbadians/Bajans in Canada
Barbadian/Bajan Population in Canada
Barbados is one of the most prosperous Caribbean islands and enjoys political, economic and social stability. Barbados is mostly Christian, largely as a result of its British heritage. Although religion has been losing some of its influence as of late, it continues playing an important role in society — for example, school days often begin with a prayer. Other religious groups in Barbados, such as Muslims and Hindus, are largely made up of immigrants. There is complete freedom of religion in Barbados.
- Barbadians. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 2, pp. 89-93). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- BBC News. (2013, December 22). Barbados profile. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-18723928
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 17). The World Factbook: Barbados. Retrieved December 29, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/barbados/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Barbados. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography/Afghanistan-to-Comoros/Barbados.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Barbados. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_bb.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Barbados. Retrieved July 8,2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/barbados.html
- Statistics Canada. (2017, October 25). Data Tables, 2016 Census – Ethnic Origin (279), Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses (3), Generation Status (4), Age (12) and Sex (3) for the Population in Private Households of Canada, Provinces and Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2016 Census – 25% Sample Data. Retrieved December 14, 2017, from http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/olc-cel/olc.action?objId=98-400-X2016187&objType=46&lang=en&limit=0