Bangladesh is found in southern Asia. Bangladesh borders India, Myanmar, and the Bay of Bengali. Unfortunately, high rainfall and Bangladesh’s location in the floodplains of the Ganges and Brahmaputra Rivers result in frequent and sometimes devastating floods. These floods cause loss of life, damage to property, and hamper economic growth.
Population: 159.453 million
Ethnic Groups: Bengali (98%>), Ethnic Groups (1.1%)
Languages: Bangla/Bengali (Official) (98.8%), Other (1.2%)
Religions: Muslim (89.5%), Hindu (9.6%), Other (0.9%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 29, 2019
Bahrainis in Canada
Bangladeshi Population in Canada
Bangladesh came into being in 1971 when the country split from Pakistan after a civil war. It was created as a secular state, but Islam became the state religion in 1988. Consequently, Muslims festivals such as Id-ul-Fitr are public holidays. Officially, there is religious freedom, but the legal system lacks safeguards for religious minorities. Indeed, the freedoms for religious minorities are being diminished as the Islamists are a growing population. In addition to the relatively sizable Hindu minority, a small percentage of the population consists of Buddhists and Christians.
- Bangladeshis. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 3, pp. 102-107). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- BBC News. (2014, March 17). Bangladesh profile. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-south-asia-12650940
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 18). The World Factbook: Bangladesh. Retrieved December 29, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/bangladesh/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Bangladesh. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/economies/Asia-and-the-Pacific/Bangladesh.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Bangladesh. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_bd.aspx?lang=eng
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Bangladesh. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_bd.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Bangladesh. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/bangladesh.html
- Statistics Canada. (2017, October 25). Data Tables, 2016 Census – Ethnic Origin (279), Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses (3), Generation Status (4), Age (12) and Sex (3) for the Population in Private Households of Canada, Provinces and Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2016 Census – 25% Sample Data. Retrieved December 14, 2017, from http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/olc-cel/olc.action?objId=98-400-X2016187&objType=46&lang=en&limit=0