Bahrain is a relatively small island country in the Middle East. Bahrain occupies a strategic place in the inlet of the Persian Gulf and has been a centre for trade and transportation.
Population: 1.443 million
Ethnic Groups: Bahraini (46%), Asian (45.5%), other Arab (4.7%), African (1.6%), European (1%), Other (1.2%)
Languages: Arabic (Official), English, Farsi, Urdu
Religions: Muslim (73.7%), Christian (9.3%), Jewish (0.1%), Other (16.9%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 29, 2019
Bahrainis in Canada
Bahraini Population in Canada
The political landscape of Bahrain is being shaped by tensions between the Sunni ruling elites and the Shi’a (which constitutes two-thirds of the indigenous population.) Bahrain has a higher standard of living than most countries near the Persian Gulf, largely as a result of its oil wealth. However, rapid population growth has put a significant amount of strain on water and housing resources. Islam is the official religion. Bahrain’s judicial system is based on Islamic law, so women’s rights are far behind what they are in North America. Nevertheless, women fare better in Bahrain than in many other Islamic countries; Bahraini women are allowed to vote and run for office. Trying to convert Muslims to another religion is illegal, but expatriate Christians (and expatriates of other religions) are free to worship in churches.
- Bahrainis. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 3, pp. 76-82). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 17). The World Factbook: Bahrain. Retrieved December 29, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/bahrain/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Bahrain. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography/Afghanistan-to-Comoros/Bahrain.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Bahrain. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_bh.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Statistics Canada. (2017, October 25). Data Tables, 2016 Census – Ethnic Origin (279), Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses (3), Generation Status (4), Age (12) and Sex (3) for the Population in Private Households of Canada, Provinces and Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2016 Census – 25% Sample Data. Retrieved December 14, 2017, from http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/olc-cel/olc.action?objId=98-400-X2016187&objType=46&lang=en&limit=0