Armenia is a small country located southwest of Russia. As it is landlocked, the Arpa River and Lake Sevan are the only sources of fish. Commercial fishing is not a significant part of the economy at all.
Population: 3.038 million
Ethnic Groups: Armenian (98.1%), Yezidi (Kurd) (1.2%), Other (0.7%)
Languages: Armenian (Official) (97.9%), Kurdish (1.0%), Other (1.0%)
Religions: Armenian Apostolic (92.6%), Evangelical (1.0%), Other (2.4%), None (1.1%), Unspecified (2.9%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 29, 2019
Armenians in Canada
Armenian Population in Canada
Armenia became the first Christian nation in the world more than 1700 years ago. Although economic growth was held back by an earthquake in 1988 and bad infrastructure, Armenia was able to successfully adapt to privatized business and stable agriculture following independence from the former Soviet Union in 1991. Another result of the collapse of communism was the renewal of religion and religious freedoms. The Armenian Apostolic Church has strong ties with the government. Religious minorities may experience small degrees of discrimination.
- Armenians. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 5, pp. 50-55). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- BBC News. (2014, April 26). Armenia profile. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-17398605
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 17). The World Factbook: Armenia. Retrieved December 29, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/armenia/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Armenia. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography/Afghanistan-to-Comoros/Arme…
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Armenia. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/Europe/Armenia.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Armenia. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/ov…
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Armenia. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/armenia.html
- Statistics Canada. (2017, October 25). Data Tables, 2016 Census – Ethnic Origin (279), Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses (3), Generation Status (4), Age (12) and Sex (3) for the Population in Private Households of Canada, Provinces and Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2016 Census – 25% Sample Data. Retrieved December 14, 2017, from http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/olc-cel/olc.action?objId=98-400-X2016187&objTy…