Argentina is found in the southern part of South America. Argentina borders Chile, Bolivia, Paraguay, Brazil, and Uruguay. It has a long coastline on the Atlantic Ocean; consequently, it is one of the world’s top twenty nations in terms of fishing.
Population: 44.694 million
Ethnic Groups: European and Mestizo (97.2%), Amerindian (2.4%), African (0.4%)
Languages: Spanish (Official), Italian, English, German, French, Indigenous (Mapudungun, Quechua)
Religions: Nominally Roman Catholic (92%) [less than 20% practicing], Protestant (2%), Jewish (2%), Other (4%)
Capital: Buenos Aires
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 29, 2019
Argentines in Canada
Argentine Population in Canada
Argentina became independent from Spain in 1816. Today, there is more political stability in Argentina than there has been in the past. Its population is well educated, and Argentina is one of the most prosperous countries in Latin America, but economic problems such as poverty and inflation persist.
The Roman Catholic Church has generally enjoyed good relations with the government, but there have been more tensions recently. Freedom and recognition for religious minorities are increasing. Still, Catholicism remains an important part of Argentinian culture. Baptism and First Communion are considered major events not only for the individual, but for his or her family as well.
- Argentines. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 2, pp. 62-66). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 17). The World Factbook: Argentina. Retrieved December 29, 2019, from
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Argentina. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Argentina. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/cu…
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Argentina. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/ov…
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Statistics Canada. (2017, October 25). Data Tables, 2016 Census – Ethnic Origin (279), Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses (3), Generation Status (4), Age (12) and Sex (3) for the Population in Private Households of Canada, Provinces and Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2016 Census – 25% Sample Data. Retrieved December 14, 2017, from http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/olc-cel/olc.action?objId=98-400-X2016187&objTy…