Algeria is located in northern Africa and is the second largest country on the continent. It borders the Mediterranean Sea, and fishing is extensive along the coast. Algeria shares borders with Morocco, Mauritania, Mali, Niger, Libya, and Tunisia.
Population: 41.657 million
Ethnic Groups: Arab-Berber (99%), European (Less than 1%)
Languages: Arabic (official), French and Berber dialects
Religions: Sunni Muslim (Official) (99%), Other (<1%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 29, 2019
Algerians in Canada
Algerian Population in Canada
Algeria achieved independence from France in 1962. For more than 25 years, it was governed by socialists backed by the army. A civil war broke out in the 1990s between the government and the Islamist militants following the 1992 elections won by the Islamists. The government has been making many concessions to Islamists. Today, religious freedoms are on the decline while persecution is on the rise. Almost the entire population is Muslim, and non-Muslim worship is banned.
In the past decades, Algeria has made great strides in improving healthcare and education, but many social problems remain. Human trafficking, religious persecution, and violence persist.
- Algerians. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 1, pp. 23-29). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 10, 2014,
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 17). The World Factbook: Algeria. Retrieved December 29, 2019, from
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Algeria. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography/Afghanistan-to-Comoros/Alge…
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Algeria. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/Africa/Algeria.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Algeria. https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/cu…
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Algeria. https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/ov…
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Algeria. Retrieved July 8, 2014, fromhttps://www.prayercast.com/algeria.html
- Statistics Canada. (2017, October 25). Data Tables, 2016 Census – Ethnic Origin (279), Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses (3), Generation Status (4), Age (12) and Sex (3) for the Population in Private Households of Canada, Provinces and Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2016 Census – 25% Sample Data. Retrieved December 14, 2017, from http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/olc-cel/olc.action?objId=98-400-X2016187&objTy…