Albania is located in southeastern Europe, west of Greece. It borders Montenegro, Kosovo, Macedonia, and Greece. It covers only 28,748 square kilometers, making it one of the smallest countries in Europe. Albania is bordered on the west by the Adriatic Sea, so fishing is an important industry in the area.
Population: 3.057 million
Ethnic Groups: Albanian (82.6%), Greek (0.9%), Other (1%), Unspecified (15.5%)
Languages: Albanian (98.8% – Official; derived from Tosk dialect), Greek (0.5%), Other (0.6%), Unspecified (0.1%)
Religions: Muslim (56.7%), Roman Catholic (10%), Orthodox (6.8%), Atheist (2.5%), Bektashi (2.1%), Other (5.7%), Unspecified (16.2%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 29, 2019
Albanians in Canada
Albanian Population in Canada
Albania was almost entirely Christian in the 16th century, but government policy in the 17th century Islamized the country (for example, by offering tax incentives for converting to Islam). Albania had been under a Communist regime from 1944 until the early 1990s. During this time, religion was banned and in 1967 Albania was declared the first atheistic country in the world. The ban on religion was lifted in 1990, and since 1991, Albania has held peaceful, multiparty elections. Today, Albania is a secular state. Albanians enjoy religoius freedom, and there is a very high degree of religious tolerance today.
- Albanian Outreach. (n.d.). Info on Albanians. Retrieved July 24, 2014, from http://albanianoutreach.net/info-on-albanians
- Albanians. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 5, pp. 23-29). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- BBC News. (2014, June 12). Albania Profile. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-17679574
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 18). Retrieved December 29, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/albania/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Albania. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Albania. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/culture-culture_al.aspx?lang=eng
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Albania. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/overview-apercu_al.aspx?lang=eng
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Albania. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/albania.html
- Statistics Canada. (2017, October 25). Data Tables, 2016 Census – Ethnic Origin (279), Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses (3), Generation Status (4), Age (12) and Sex (3) for the Population in Private Households of Canada, Provinces and Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2016 Census – 25% Sample Data. Retrieved December 14, 2017, from http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/olc-cel/olc.action?objId=98-400-X2016187&objTy…