Afghanistan is located in south-central Asia. Afghanistan is a landlocked nation and shares borders with six different countries: Pakistan, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, and China. Because of Afghanistan’s strategic location at an intersection of trade routes, its territory has been fought over many times in the past.
Population: 34.941 million
Ethnic Groups: Pashtun, Tajik, Hazara, Uzbek, other (includes smaller numbers of Baloch, Turkmen, Nuristani, Pamiri, Arab, Gujar, Brahui, Qizilbash, Aimaq, Pashai, and Kyrghyz)
Languages: Afghan Persian or Dari (Official) (77%), Pashto (Official) (48%), Uzbek (11%), English (6%), Turkmen (3%), Urdu (3%), Pashayi (1%), Nuristani (1%), Arabic (1%), Balochi (1%)
Religions: Muslim (99.7%), Other (0.3%)
CIA: The World Factbook — Last Updated December 29, 2019
Afghans in Canada
Afghan Population in Canada
Afghanistan has long been an area with conflict. Foreign empires have fought over the land for thousands of years. More recently, Afghanistan has been afflicted by decades of war. When the Taliban had taken over, they imposed a strict form of Islam which was particularly harsh on the female population. The Taliban continued operating when American-led forces invaded Afghanistan after 9/11, but became less strict with regards to acceptable interpretations of Islam. The Taliban lost power in 2001, but the relative peace that this brought was only temporary. Warfare and the oppression of women continue to be major social problems in Afghanistan.
- Afghanis. (2009). In T. L. Gall & J. Hobby (Eds.), Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily Life (2nd ed., Vol. 3, pp. 16-23). Detroit: Gale. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- BBC News. (2014, May 15). Afghanistan profile. Retrieved July 7, 2014, from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-south-asia-12011355
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2019, December 17). The World Factbook: Afghanistan. Retrieved December 29, 2019, from https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/afghanistan/
- Encyclopedia of the Nations. (n.d.). Afghanistan. Retrieved July 7, 2014, from http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/geography/Afghanistan-to-Comoros/Afghanistan.html
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2009, October 15). Cultural Information – Afghanistan. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/cu…
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. (2011, December 15). Overview – Afghanistan. Retrieved July 8, 2014, from https://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/ov…
- Mandryk, J. (2010). Operation World: The Definitive Prayer Guide to Every Nation (7th ed.). Colorado Springs: Biblica Publishing.
- Prayercast. (n.d.). Afghanistan. Retrieved July 7, 2014, from https://www.prayercast.com/afghanistan.html
- Statistics Canada. (2011, April 7). 2006 Census of Canada: Topic-based tabulations/Ethnic Origin, Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses and Sex for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census – 20% Sample Data. Retrieved July 15, 2014, from http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2006/dp-pd/tbt/Rp-eng.cfm?…
- Statistics Canada. (2017, October 25). Data Tables, 2016 Census – Ethnic Origin (279), Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses (3), Generation Status (4), Age (12) and Sex (3) for the Population in Private Households of Canada, Provinces and Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2016 Census – 25% Sample Data. Retrieved December 14, 2017, from http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/olc-cel/olc.action?objId=98-400-X2016187&objTy…